Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Design layout

This week our goal was to design layouts for different types of users using FAO Schwarz as a guideline. The first challenge was to design the path through the store that an 8 year old girl would travel with her mother who is a waitress. In my layout I tried to incorporate all of the sections that a mother and daughter would frequent. This would include the candy bar, the doll section and dippin dots.














The next challenge was to layout a plan for a retired wealthy woman. Thinking this woman might like to meet friends for coffee, I added a trip to the cafe. I also added a trip to the personal shopper section downstairs as I believe she would utilize this service when buying gifts for her family.
















Lastly, the final challenge was to map a visit by an adult married couple who were middle income and from middle America. That was easy as I guessed they would need a tour of the entire store. However, laying out the trip became complicated. The trick was trying to layout the entire store without making the design look complicated or be hard to follow. This is my final outcome.







In the end, I realized how we layout items for menus in web design is much the same process. You have to think about the journey of the user and their experience in using the site. You need it to be easy to navigate and fun to use while not being to cumbersome or complicated. This project gave me further clarity in why wireframes and site maps are important when thinking of web design and layout options.

No comments:

Post a Comment